Date:      Tue, 16 Sep 2003 18:23:56 +0100
From:      Richard Dymond <richard@myrmidon.freeuk.com>
To:        Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.no-ip.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 5.1 and a USB pen drive

On 14 Sep 2003 12:19:03 -0400
Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.no-ip.com> wrote:

> Half a minute reading the first, obvious, manual (usb(4)) told me that
> you need the uhub device.  I don't know if that's all you need (you'll
> probably need usbd(8) to attach devices, at a guess), but it's a
> start.

The usb manual (do you know, you're the first person who's even so much
as hinted that such a thing exists!) tells me that the uhub device is
present by default. "device uhub" in my kernel config file rendered it
uncompilable.

The umass manual hinted that "device pass" was needed, but that didn't
fix the problem. Nor did running usbd before plugging the USB stick in.

The search continues...

Richard