Date:      Sat, 15 Mar 2003 01:03:21 -0600
From:      Andy Isaacson <adi@hexapodia.org>
To:        Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
Cc:        smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: weird power usage on dual Xeon

On Fri, Mar 14, 2003 at 05:41:13PM -0800, Brooks Davis wrote:
>             Is it expected that the Idle loop would consume more power
> then a FPU intensive application like SETI@Home?  The only thing I can
> think of is that the Idle loop stays in the cache and doesn't have the
> kinds of stalls an appliction with 15MB of data to process does.
>
> 		no HTT	HTT
> idle+hlt	94W	94W
> idle		170W	183W
> seti		160W	172W
> seti+hlt	159W	171W
>
> idle:	idle
> htl:	sysctl machdep.cpu_idle_hlt=1
> seti:	all CPUs (real or logical) running linux-setiathome-i686

FWIW, I've measured about 45 W per processor (2.4 GHz Xeon 512k).

Do you get a different answer if you run only two copies of SETI?  I
can't imagine that their FFT routine takes kindly to having to share L1
cache, perhaps it's spending all its time waiting for the L2... and do
you actually process more work units per hour with 4 SETI processes
running on HT as opposed to 2 SETIs without HT?  I kinda doubt it, but
would welcome real information.

-andy