Date:      Sun, 26 Nov 2000 09:09:44 -0500
From:      "Otter" <otterr@telocity.com>
To:        "Joe McGuckin" <joe@monk.via.net>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: XDM & FreeBSD ?

Joe,
That all depends on your versions of FreeBSD and XFree86. In
4.2-RELEASE and using XF86-4.0.1_8 (I'd guess 3.3.6 to be about the
same requirements), the only thing you need to do is edit /etc/ttys
(assuming you want xdm to start at boot, otherwise, just type "xdm" at
the prompt). Anything prior to that, I've found also requires a tweak
of xdm-config. I use wdm, but it works just the same for setup
(xdm/wdm/kdm/etc). In /etc/ttys, change the one line to look like
mine:

ttyv8   "/usr/X11R6/bin/wdm -nodaemon"  xterm   on secure

Of course, you'll need to reinit/reboot to get that to take effect. If
it still doesn't work, modify /etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config (or wherever it
might be) to look like:

DisplayManager.errorLogFile:    /var/log/xdm-errors
DisplayManager.pidFile:         /var/run/xdm-pid
DisplayManager.keyFile:         /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/xdm-keys
DisplayManager.servers:         /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers
DisplayManager.accessFile:      /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xaccess
DisplayManager.willing:         su -fm nobody -c
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xwilling
! All displays should use authorization, but we cannot be sure
! X terminals will be configured that way, so by default
! use authorization only for local displays :0, :1, etc.
DisplayManager._0.authorize:    true
DisplayManager._1.authorize:    true
! The following three resources set up display :0 as the console.
DisplayManager._0.setup:        /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xsetup_0
DisplayManager._0.startup:      /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/GiveConsole
DisplayManager._0.reset:        /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/TakeConsole
!
DisplayManager*resources:       /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xresources
DisplayManager*session:         /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xsession
DisplayManager*authComplain:    false
! SECURITY: do not listen for XDMCP or Chooser requests
! Comment out this line if you want to manage X terminals with xdm
DisplayManager.requestPort:     0

As I recall, I think there was only one line to change to get it to
work. I put all my values up so that you could compare them to yours.
Hope this helps. Feel free to email me with any other questions you
might have, but this is all it took to get it working...
-Otter