Date:      Tue, 6 Jun 95 14:37:58 EDT
From:      m-ke0082@SPARKY.CS.NYU.EDU (Ken Estes)
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Installation problems

I am trying to install free bsd on my home computer. I have had no end
of problems with it. I am using a fresh CDROM from wallnut creek
(spring 95 I think).  I think the problems may be related to the fact
that when I assign mount points

a 20 MB /
b 40 MB swap
e 20 MB /var
f 900 MB /usr

they do not save correctly. (ie I save them then reread them and they
are gone) The partitions themselves are saved but the mount points go
away. I can reboot my machine off this second disk installed as above
but after it recognises the devices, then it is unable to find / a
panic insues and we get another reboot. It is interesting to note that
although I type hd(1,a)/kernel at the prompt I get a reply of
hd(1,a)/kernel, hd(0,a)/kernel before it boots.

I thought I could save problems by putting / on my primay disk this
did not help. I only have 20 MB free on my primary disk I put / there
and put the rest on my second disk ( swap in b and /var in a and /usr
in e). When I rebooted I got an error about too many  (sectors, cylinders,
heads, I do not remember exactly) but it cut the number from 32 to 16
then hung.

I have been unable to use the fixint program it seems to always reboot
then hang on the cpio disk.

I am unable to use my linux partion from your boot loader it just hangs.
(when I get this installed I would prefer to use the linux LILO loader
to load all OS is this possible? I know linux seems to recognise
FreeBSD better then FreeBSD recognises linux)

Ken Estes