Date:      Tue, 22 Jun 2004 11:24:51 +0200
From:      Heinrich Rebehn <rebehn@ant.uni-bremen.de>
To:        freebsd@celestial.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: perl-tk no longer working

Bill Campbell wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 21, 2004, Heinrich Rebehn wrote:
>
>>Hi list,
>>
>>I rolled my own perl-tk script for adding/removing users on our cluster
>>and it has been running fine for some years now.
>>But when i wanted to use it today, it died with:
>

> My SWAG is that you've updated perl recently, but not updated the perl::Tk
> modules.  Running two versions of perl on the same machine is possible (we
> do it under the OpenPKG.org packagement system all the time), but can
> easily lead to problems like this.
>

>>root@antsrv1 [~] # usrmgr/usrmgr.pl
>>[the usual messages about unused variables]
>>X Error of failed request:  BadAtom (invalid Atom parameter)
>> Major opcode of failed request:  18 (X_ChangeProperty)
>> Atom id in failed request:  0x1a6
>> Serial number of failed request:  12
>> Current serial number in output stream:  15
>>
>>I have no clue what this could be. Other X11 apps run fine. I am logged
>>in via ssh -X.
>>Versions:
>>FreeBSD 5.2.1-RELEASE-p8
>>p5-Tk-804.027
>>perl-5.6.1_15       Practical Extraction and Report Language
>>perl-5.8.4          Practical Extraction and Report Language
>>
>>2 versions of perl? Is this ok?
>>
>>Does anyone have an idea?
>>
>>Regards,
>>	Heinrich

Problem solved: It was not the perl upgrade, it is the X server which is
to blame. I recently upgraded the Linux installation on my workstation
and there seems to be a problem with xfree there. I did not get
suspicious until i tried running the script under Linux and got exactly
the same error message. Moving to another workstation with a different
version of xfree solved the problem.

--Heinrich