Date:      Tue, 02 Dec 1997 12:13:02 -0800
From:      Studded <Studded@dal.net>
To:        Sue Blake <sue@zip.com.au>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: BSD ignorants

[moving to -chat]

Sue Blake wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Dec 1997, Doug White wrote:
>
> > I don't see this happening anytime soon, with the number of large sites
> > depending on FreeBSD for their livelihood.
>
> I used to run OS/2, and heard this frequently there too.
> "Not soon" always comes around sooner than we expect.

	Actually the business end of OS/2 isn't going anywhere. Almost all
ATM's run on it, as do most POS systems (those scanner/cash register
doomahackers).  There's lots of other business/server applications that
OS/2 excels at, and is placed in the top of various niches. It's the
desktop market that IBM is abandoning. In fact y'all can blame IBM, and
especially their complete lack of interest/ability to support win32
stuff for inflicting me on you with increasing frequency. :)  I'm
actually staying booted in FreeBSD for days at a time now, with only a
couple OS/2 and windows apps forcing me to reboot, and that becomes less
frequent as I learn new Unix/X tools. Of course there are a lot of good
things about running FreeBSD too, and I'm enjoying the learning
experience.

Working for a microsoft-os-free world,

Doug (Hey, I can dream can't I? :)