Date:      Sun, 17 Dec 2000 22:15:44 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Devin Butterfield <dbutter@wireless.net>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Writing Device Drivers

Devin Butterfield wrote:

> This is IMHO one of the advantages linux has over FreeBSD. You can run
> by your local Barnes & Noble bookstore and pick up a copy of "Linux
> Device Drivers" and start writing code that you actually understand.

And they'll run fine in Linux 2.0.43pre11 or something like that.  All
of those books are out of date by the time they hit the shelf in your
bookstore, and given the slew rate of Linux kernel APIs, finding any
of them useful seems pretty doubtful.

Well-written man pages for FreeBSD would certainly be a boon, but printed
books wouldn't really help that much.  There are books available on
writing BSD device drivers, but the kernel APIs have moved on since then,
as you've noticed.  Perhaps a good project for someone who wants to under-
stand FreeBSD device drivers would be to update the section 9 man pages?