Date:      Thu, 4 Nov 2010 07:10:10 GMT
From:      David DEMELIER <demelier.david@gmail.com>
To:        java@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/151923: [patch] java/openjdk6: free and native openjdk bootstrap

The following reply was made to PR ports/151923; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: David DEMELIER <demelier.david@gmail.com>
To: Jung-uk Kim <jkim@freebsd.org>
Cc: bug-followup@freebsd.org, freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2010 08:04:20 +0100

 2010/11/4 Jung-uk Kim <jkim@freebsd.org>:
 > On Wednesday 03 November 2010 06:43 pm, David DEMELIER wrote:
 >> I made this like pkgsrc does, pkg_add -r openjdk6 pulls some
 >> dependencies, I agree with you pkg_add'ing the prebuilt package is
 >> possible but some people don't like this.
 >
 > If you are building it, you will need the dependencies sooner or later
 > anyway. =C2=A0I don't see your point. :-/
 >
 >> If you run -current or -stable packages could be outdated too, here
 >> using a bootstrap will build depends from ports and openjdk from
 >> ports without any binaries and without any non-free binaries.
 >
 > What made you think that your bootstrap binaries won't be outdated?
 > In fact, I cannot shake the feeling that it may rot even faster than
 > prebuilt packages.

 markand@Melon ~ $ pkg_info -r openjdk6-b20_4
 Information for openjdk6-b20_4:

 Depends on:
 Dependency: xextproto-7.1.1
 Dependency: xbitmaps-1.1.0
 Dependency: recordproto-1.14
 Dependency: printproto-1.0.4
 Dependency: kbproto-1.0.4
 Dependency: inputproto-2.0
 Dependency: expat-2.0.1_1
 Dependency: javavmwrapper-2.3.5
 Dependency: pkg-config-0.25_1
 Dependency: freetype2-2.4.2
 Dependency: fontconfig-2.8.0,1
 Dependency: dejavu-2.32
 Dependency: xproto-7.0.16
 Dependency: libICE-1.0.6,1
 Dependency: libSM-1.1.1_3,1
 Dependency: libXdmcp-1.0.3
 Dependency: libXau-1.0.5
 Dependency: libpthread-stubs-0.3_3
 Dependency: libxcb-1.7
 Dependency: libX11-1.3.3_1,1
 Dependency: libXt-1.0.7
 Dependency: libXext-1.1.1,1
 Dependency: libXi-1.3,1
 Dependency: libXtst-1.1.0
 Dependency: libXpm-3.5.7
 Dependency: libXp-1.0.0,1
 Dependency: libXmu-1.0.5,1
 Dependency: libXaw-1.0.7,1
 Dependency: open-motif-2.2.3_6

 If you add openjdk6 from pkg_add -r you will add these depends from
 packages too, and these could be outdated. And as I said some people
 don't like to install binaries and I agree with this. If you install
 openjdk6 from ports you will build all this depends from ports and
 every ports will be up-to-date.

 I don't understand what you don't like in my patch, it prevents
 installing diablo-jdk and it's easier to build from ports without
 installing binaries before. Okay, I agree people still can add
 openjdk6 from binaries to bootstrap but if you want only ports this
 patch could be better in any case.

 Cheers,

 --=20
 Demelier David