Date:      Fri, 13 Feb 2004 17:27:20 +0200
From:      Anton Alin-Adrian <aanton@reversedhell.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SYN Attacks - how i cant stop it

Spades wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I got this error when i tried to type for some of those.
> "sysctl: unknown oid...." any idea..
>
> my server seems to be very lagged, where else
> the network connection seems fine, i think BSD
> itself as my other redhat box is fine.
>
> What else can i do to get optimum protection.
>
> Thanks.

Most important, you did turn on syncookies, did you not?

FreeBSD is pretty immune to syn floods. As for out of bandwidth, this
has to do with your uplink and how much you pay for your traffic.

root# sysctl net.inet.tcp.syncookies

If it is not set to one, then do:
root# sysctl net.inet.tcp.syncookies=1

Also edit /etc/sysctl.conf to contain net.inet.tcp.syncookies=1.

A reboot would clear the tcp stack. You can't reboot remotely if kernel
securelevel is enabled in /etc/rc.conf.

If you don't have firewall support compiled in the kernel, kldload ipfw.

Might be a good lesson to mirror back all incoming syn packets from the
attacker's IP to him. To port 80, or 22, or to some any other open port.
You can do that easely with ipfw.

--
Alin-Adrian Anton
Reversed Hell Networks