Date:      Thu, 31 Dec 1998 12:04:55 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        sporkl@ix.netcom.com, fbsdqs <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 2.2.8->3.0 upgrade

On Wednesday, 30 December 1998 at 20:01:53 -0500, Spike Gronim wrote:

> I am planning on upgrading to 3.0 when it goes stable on Jan 15. I am
> running 2.2.8-STABLE and I have some questions regarding the upgrade.

Then subscribe to FreeBSD-current.  This isn't optional.

> 1. How do I compile an ELF kernel?

You first need an ELF world.  There are instructions at the top of
/usr/src/Makefile.

> How do I install the new boot loader?

  # disklabel -B da0    (or whatever your system disk is)

> 2. Will all the ports work with an ELF system?

Most of them.  Some are marked as ``broken for ELF''

> Will my already installed ports work with ELF?

They should do.

> Most importantly, will XFree86 3.3.3 compiled on a 2.2.8 system work
> with ELF?

Yes.

> Will StarOffice 4.0 work with ELF?

I don't know.  I didn't think StarOffice worked too well on anything.
WordPerfect 8.0 works with ELF.

Greg