Date:      Wed, 31 May 2000 16:37:52 +0200
From:      Farid Hajji <farid.hajji@ob.kamp.net>
To:        jkh@zippy.cdrom.com
Cc:        jkh@freebsd.org, orders@cdrom.com, questions@freebsd.org, asami@freebsd.org, wosch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Missing distfiles on FreeBSD-4.0 RELEASE CD-ROMs

Hello Jordan,

> > is there a way to persuade Walnut-Creek (a.k.a. BSDI) to include the
> > distfiles on their next regular FreeBSD-4.X CDs? AFAIK, they were
> It's not a question of persuading Walnut CreeK AKA BSDi, it's
> a question of persuading me.  I make the CDs. :-)
I'm sorry that my critique was so harsh, but it seemed to me, that the
decision to drop the distfiles was due to a company (BSDi) with commercial
interests that may collide with the open source philosophy of FreeBSD, and
I didn't know that this was actually "official" policy of -CORE.
I just remember too well, how Sun dropped their C-Compiler from Solaris
with the argument, that just a minority of users needed a compiler, and
the hard time we had before there was a widely available port of GCC on
that platform. The same scenario seemed to repeat itself with FreeBSD (CDs).

I perfectly understand the space restrictions and I'm actually very impressed
by the way, you managed to fit so many packages on just 4 CDs. But have you
considered the following arguments?

1. Some packages are derived from GPLed sources and dropping their distfiles
   may not be in the spirit of the GPL. The GPL states, that it is enough
   to provide pointers to the sources, so that it is not necessary to
   include them physically on the distribution media, as long as they can
   be fetched off the 'Net or through other freely accessible channels.
   It is nonetheless sensible to provide at least the distfiles for GPLed
   packages (IMHO).

2. Most Linux-Distributions come with full sources or at least a substantial
   amount of sources, and that includes sources for everything, including
   what we know as packages. It can't be right, that those distributions
   are now much more open source compliant than FreeBSD-RELEASE! I'm actually
   fetching some of the missing "distfiles" from a Linux-CD and I can imagine
   how many other FreeBSD users are doing the same. It's a shame that we're
   getting dependant on Linux distributions to get at the sources. Referring
   to the Toolkit is okay, but the fact that it is now necessary to buy it in
   addition to or instead of the offical FreeBSD CDs has to get much more
   publicity.

3. It is certainly difficult to find space for gzipped distfiles that are
   on the average bigger than gzipped binaries. A small amount of space may
   be saved by bzip2-ing them instead but that only delays the space problem
   somewhat. More substantial savings could be probably achieved by considering
   the fact that many internationalized packages (like ja-*, ko-*, ...) derive
   from common sources. A set of patches (a.k.a. a port) may have been very
   economical in such cases (?).

4. I can't imagine that every package is equally popular. They are certainly
   many less required packages that could have been delivered as distfiles
   instead of precompiled binaries. The overhead of compiling them may be
   acceptable to concerned users. To make things go as smoothly as
   possible, sysinstall could be expanded in such a way, that missing
   binaries could be automacially compiled from the distfiles, thus making
   the installation of ports as transparent to normal users as possible,
   retaining the open source philosophy, at the cost of slightly increased
   installation time.

5. I agree with you, that sources of 3rd party packages are only needed
   by a minority of users. However, many users that are actually developing
   or enhancing/modifying software would not have done so without the
   sources being _easily_ available_. Even some users, that were not primarily
   interested in sources, were curious enough and had a look, just to find out,
   that they could too contribute to the free software community. This is the
   way Linux works and we're giving too much potential away, by deciding
   to put the sources on a separate CD-Set like the Toolkit (which is by
   the way excellent!). Is it really worth leaving the sources out of the
   main distribution, just to speed-up the installation as much as possible
   and to include a few more "exotic" binaries?

I sincerely hope that there will be a way to get most distfiles back on
the regular FreeBSD CDs someday. In the meantime, we should make it very clear
to every user that the Toolkit _is_ actually needed and that it should
be considered integral part of FreeBSD (-RELEASE & -SNAP).

Thank you very much.

--
Farid Hajji
Broicherdorfstr. 83, D-41564 Kaarst, Germany