Date:      Thu, 19 Dec 2013 12:44:56 +0000
From:      Ben Morrow <ben@morrow.me.uk>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS and ISCSI

Quoth "Ronald Klop" <ronald-lists@klop.ws>:
> On Wed, 18 Dec 2013 20:59:39 +0100, Danny Schales <dan@latech.edu> wrote:
> > On 12/18/13 01:20 PM, Ronald Klop wrote:
> >
> >> Maybe asking for the obvious, but...
> >> Do your zfs volumes have mountpoint set?
> >
> > yes, mountpoint is set.
>
> You might also post more information about your setup. Like the
> partitioning of your iscsi 'disks' (I don't have much experience with
> that). And the actual values of things like your mountpoint and iscsi
> config files.

None of this information makes any difference: Danny's original analysis
of the problem is correct. Any zpools which show up after /etc/rc.d/zfs
has run will not be automatically mounted, they must be explicitly
mounted with 'zfs mount -a'. This is expected behaviour, and how things
are supposed to work, but noone had previously realised that iSCSI disks
(and, presumably, any other networked block devices) necessarily fall
into this category. The solution is a ZFS equivalent to
/etc/rc.d/mountlate; I believe all it needs to contain is 'zfs mount
-a', but ICBW.

Ben