Date:      Tue, 6 Jan 2004 14:02:32 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        scott@sremick.net
Cc:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: "Cannot find file system superblock" error - how to recover?

> --- Sergey 'DoubleF' Zaharchenko <doublef@tele-kom.ru> wrote:
>
> > I can't find a zero-bad floppy in this place! It's all the holidays!
>
> That's what AOL disks (vs. discs) used to be good for. :)
>
> > With `c', they're all offset by 63(why?). But still, you can mount the
> > partitions on the ad4s1, so the disklabel should be ok...
>
> Yeah. Starts to suggest what we were thinking was a evidence related to the
> problem is really unrelated and "normal" behavior (is disklabel/bsdlabel
> only meant to be run on slices and not bsd-partitions?).

Sorry, I haven't been following this whole thread and so am not responding
to your real problem/question.   But, just in regards to this fragment:

You have it backwards in this question.   Disklabel is meant to run
only on bsd partitions and not slices.   Slices (1-4) are the major
divisions of the disk and partitions (a-h) are divisions within slices.
Fdisk is what creates slices.

////jerry