Date:      Fri, 3 Aug 2007 15:00:30 +0200
From:      Jona Joachim <jaj@hcl-club.lu>
To:        linimon@lonesome.com (Mark Linimon)
Cc:        "Marcos Biscaysaqu - ThePacific.net" <marcos@tpnet.co.nz>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Atheros Open Hal

On Thu, 2 Aug 2007 18:46:58 -0500
linimon@lonesome.com (Mark Linimon) wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 02, 2007 at 11:51:54PM +0200, Jona Joachim wrote:
> > Quoting from
> > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/committers-guide/people.html:
> > "In order to develop FreeBSD, committers must have the ability to
> > openly discuss matters that will be resolved before they are
> > publicly announced. Frank discussions of work in progress are not
> > suitable for open publication and may harm FreeBSD."
>
> Of course, the sentence you omitted that precedes the above is:
>
>   "The FreeBSD developers mailing list is for the exclusive use of
> FreeBSD committers."
>
> So you are taking the policy for *one single* private mailing list
> and, by removing the context, making it appear that we are in some
> way attempting to stifle discussion on the public lists.

I reread the sentence twice to make sure I don't change its meaning
by putting it out of context. Whether you communicate through one single
mailing list, through 100 mailing lists or via snail mail doesn't
really change anything. I didn't mean to make it look like a
conspiracy.
I provided the link so everybody can read the real thing.

> The mailing list in question is more often used to hash out
> disagreements (technical and otherwise) among developers than to hide
> anything.  For many people, it would be of little interest.

Perhaps it would be good to update the committers guide because it
really makes the developers mailing list look like a secret elite group
that discusses evil stuff.

> If you think that some kind of issue is not being addressed, your best
> bet is a post to advocacy@.  If you want to work on code, then
> hackers@ is probably a better bet.

I started the discussion on advocacy@ some time ago but no committers
shared their point of view.