Date:      Thu, 11 Aug 2011 09:36:07 -0700
From:      Freddie Cash <fjwcash@gmail.com>
To:        Andriy Gapon <avg@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org, Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org>
Subject:   Re: ZFS zpool mirror drive replacement confusion

On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 9:30 AM, Andriy Gapon <avg@freebsd.org> wrote:

> on 11/08/2011 19:03 Martin Cracauer said the following:

> It didn't

> >   let me, saying it can only remove drives from mirror or raid sets.
> >   I think it should have been possible before I mounted the filesystem
> >   in there read-write for the first time after the drive add.  This
> >   seems like an easy mistake to make.
>
> This has been reported to the ZFS people (upstream) many times, still they
> didn't
> add any safety nets.
>
> There's a very big safety net included already:  zpool will error out
complaining about mis-matched vdevs if you try to "zpool add" a single disk
to a pool with a mirror vdev.  In fact, the user has to add "-f" (force) to
the "zpool add" command in order for this to even happen.  IOW, this is user
error, not "lack of safety nets".  :)

--
Freddie Cash
fjwcash@gmail.com