Date:      Fri, 31 Jan 1997 11:13:39 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@vader.cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        se@freebsd.org
Cc:        se@freebsd.org, ports@freebsd.org, committers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: review request: pkgdir handling improved

 * Yes, sure I did ...

Oops, sorry about that.  I didn't get that impression from your
previous mail.

 * Anyway: I continue to dislike the change, that makes the
 * install fail, if the package has already been registered.
 * I don't care, whether the test is moved up to before the
 * install, it is the being forced to take special action to
 * perform an install that just worked before, that I don't
 * like ...

I'm afraid we are in differing opinions here.  The old behavior was
bad because it did not change the /var/db/pkg dir, and could have
missed critical updates to the +* files.

You can just re-do the failed installation by "make install
FORCE_PKG_INSTALL=yes" (which should be easy enough to cut-n-paste
from the error message).  If that's too much -- then I have nothing to
say.

Satoshi