Date:      Thu, 11 Jul 2002 04:18:17 -0700
From:      Bill Huey <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>
To:        Marc Recht <marc@informatik.uni-bremen.de>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG, Bill Huey <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>
Subject:   Re: 1.3.1 patchset 7 not quite ready

On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 01:07:55PM +0200, Marc Recht wrote:
> Am Do, 2002-07-11 um 05.33 schrieb Nate Williams:
> > If the only problems are userland (ie; libc_r), that's a really silly
> > reason to abandon -stable for -current.

> IMHO is targeting -current The Right Thing (tm). 5.0-RELEASE is not _so_
> far away and it would be nice if it would come with a native (Sun

I see both sides to this issue. The working premise here is that -current
is my prefered platform of choice for pure HotSpot development. If that
fails to serve my purposes then I'll think about moving to -stable.

BTW, I was multiplying the os::sleep() values by 1000x, which made the
Java2D demo slow. ;) I fixed that and it runs more reasonably now with
only a 3.8x slow down from the native Linux JVM on my Debian box. That's
probably because I'm running a debug version of HotSpot. I expect it
to be faster (I got a glimpse of it) with the production version.

The signs are definitely encouraging. I need to quit this project and
move onto something that's more mainstream for my career, so I might
drop it anyways. I'm getting low on cash here. :\

I'll keep you folks informed.

bill