Date:      Mon, 24 Jun 2002 11:47:57 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Margie W <walemom@yahoo.com>
To:        FreeBSD-Questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Least Painful Upgrade Path

Folks,

I'm relatively new to BSD, so bear with me here...

I have a system built about a month ago with
4.5-STABLE.  One of the packages I installed at that
time was Apache-2.0.35.  I need to upgrade that
package to 2.0.39 due to the security bug discovered
last week.

Is the easiest upgrade path to backup the site
content, uninstall the package, and then re-install
.39... then recreate the document directories.. and
restore the content?

Does pkg_add have a command line "upgrade" flag that I
can use that automates all this?

I've seen people metion CVS, which I'm not very
familiar with.  From what I've read, that seems the
best bet for performing a system-wide code
update/upgrade (I think people refer to this as a
'build world', right?)... but overkill for one
package.  Esp if I have to manually compose a
functional Makefile and recompile the whole system.

How do your answers change if I said I had a
4.0-STABLE system that I wanted to fully upgrade to
4.6, inc all packages/(custom) kernel.  CVSsup?  (I
do, but it's another system that I can worry about
later.)

Appreciate any recommendations.