Date:      Sun, 20 Jan 2008 14:15:17 +0900
From:      WATANABE Kazuhiro <CQG00620@nifty.ne.jp>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Trying to setup a serial console on my desktop

Hello.

At Sat, 19 Jan 2008 02:17:42 +0530,
 ???? ????? Ashish Shukla  wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to setup serial console on my FreeBSD 7.0-BETA4, I'm facing
> some issues.
>
> ----8<----8<----
> [abbe@chateau ~]$ cat /boot.config
> -DP
> [abbe@chateau ~]$ cat /boot/loader.conf
> sound_load="YES"                # Digital sound subsystem
> snd_hda_load="YES"              # Intel High Definition Audio (Controller)
> snd_ds1_load="YES"              # ds1
> comconsole_speed="115200"
> boot_multicons="YES"
> boot_serial="YES"
> console="comconsole,vidconsole"         # A comma separated list of console(s)
> [abbe@chateau ~]$ cat /etc/ttys |grep -v ^# |fgrep -v none
> ttyv0   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on  secure
> ttyv1   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on  secure
> ttyv2   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on  secure
> ttyv3   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on  secure
> ttyv4   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on  secure
> ttyv5   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on  secure
> ttyv6   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on  secure
> ttyv7   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on  secure
> ttyv8   "/usr/local/bin/xdm -nodaemon"  xterm   off secure
> ttyd0   "/usr/libexec/getty std.115200" vt220   on  secure
> ttyd1   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   dialup  off secure
> ttyd2   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   dialup  off secure
> ttyd3   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   dialup  off secure
> dcons   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   vt100   off secure
> [abbe@chateau ~]$ stty -a -f /dev/ttyd0
> speed 115200 baud; 0 rows; 0 columns;
> lflags: icanon isig iexten echo echoe -echok echoke -echonl echoctl
>         -echoprt -altwerase -noflsh -tostop -flusho pendin -nokerninfo
>         -extproc
> iflags: -istrip icrnl -inlcr -igncr ixon -ixoff ixany imaxbel -ignbrk
>         brkint -inpck -ignpar -parmrk
> oflags: opost onlcr -ocrnl oxtabs -onocr -onlret
> cflags: cread cs8 -parenb -parodd hupcl clocal -cstopb crtscts -dsrflow
>         -dtrflow -mdmbuf
> cchars: discard = ^O; dsusp = ^Y; eof = ^D; eol = <undef>;
>         eol2 = <undef>; erase = ^?; erase2 = ^H; intr = ^C; kill = ^U;
>         lnext = ^V; min = 1; quit = ^\; reprint = ^R; start = ^Q;
>         status = ^T; stop = ^S; susp = ^Z; time = 0; werase = ^W;
> ----8<----8<----
>
> I've a desktop mobo (Intel D945GNTL) with onboard Intel Graphics. My
> BIOS doesn't support redirecting its output to COM1.
>
> Following are the issues:
>
> 1. comconsole_speed in /boot/loader.conf is not working. I wanted to
> try 115200 baud rate, but its not working when set in loader.conf. If
> I set comconsole_speed at
> loader prompt, it works.

loader.conf(5) says:

| comconsole_speed
|           (``9600'' or the value of the BOOT_COMCONSOLE_SPEED vari-
|           able when loader(8) was compiled).  Sets the speed of the
|           serial console.  If the previous boot loader stage speci-
|           fied that a serial console is in use then the default
|           speed is determined from the current serial port speed
|           setting.

If you specify to use a serial console via /boot.config and
want to change the speed from 9600bps (default), you need to add
the "-S speed" flag to your /boot.config.  See boot(8) for details.

> 2. Keyboard doesn't work irrespective of '-P' being present in
> /boot.config . So I can't login to any TTY or login to X via GDM.
>
> I'm following http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/serialconsole-setup.html

Is a login prompt displayd to the video console?

If not, the system boot sequence may have been stopped at some kinds
of daemon (sshd, sendmail, etc.).
---
WATANABE Kazuhiro (CQG00620@nifty.ne.jp)