Date:      Wed, 03 Apr 2002 21:57:19 -0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
Cc:        ia64@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Update your EFI bootloader.

Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
> Gang,
>
> It is adviced to update your EFI loader as soon a conveniently
> possible. It is harmless to update the kernel without updating
> the EFI loader for now, but this may not hold for future kernels.
>
> The relevant changes are to pass the address of the bootinfo
> block from the loader to the kernel in a register (r8), and not
> use a hardwired address for this. The kernel still looks at the
> hardwired address, but does check if it has been passed in r8
> as well.

I'm still not having much luck. I've not been able to build a loader
since ~Nov 20th or so.

fs0:\boot> dir
Directory of fs0:\boot
  10/22/01  07:59a <DIR>          4,096  .
  10/22/01  07:59a <DIR>              0  ..
..
  04/03/02  09:44p              465,585  nloader.efi
  11/19/01  12:14a              489,901  loader.efi
..
fs0:\boot> nloader
'nloader' not found
Exit status code: Invalid Parameter
fs0:\boot> loader
Console: EFI console

FreeBSD/ia64 EFI boot, Revision 0.1
(peter@overcee.netplex.com.au, Mon Nov 19 00:14:52 PST 2001)

can't load 'kernel'

Type '?' for a list of commands, 'help' for more detailed help.
ok

I'll be damned if I can find anything obviously wrong with it.  objdump
etc show nothing unusual different between them.  I might have to resort
to actually reading hexdumps and comparing fields.

(I'm using a native gcc and in-tree binutils to build this)

Cheers,
-Peter