Date:      Wed, 29 May 2002 01:16:45 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Daniel Blankensteiner <db@traceroute.dk>
Cc:        Matt.Smith@uconn.edu, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Base system vs. Ports

On 2002-05-28 18:30, Daniel Blankensteiner wrote:
> [...]

Guys, not to sound like I'm advocating the devil here, or trying to
get you away from FreeBSD.  I'd love it if you used FreeBSD, and you
found out that tweaking the system can result in a light-weight UNIX
system, exactly the way you want it to be.  But I've been using NetBSD
for a while now, and I have to admit their i386 version has a truly
light installation (if one doesn't install many packages or X11).  It
is very impressive to see stuff like this:

	% df /netbsd
	Filesystem  1K-blocks   Used  Avail Capacity  Mounted on
	/dev/ad0s2a    891217 130417 716240    15%    /netbsd

Of course, with only 130 MB of space you should not expect anything
graphical, or to have space for the sources.  You'll need a bit more
if you plan to recompile the system from source.  If you only want
this as a light-weight system that can be used for a UNIX workstation
(that gives remote access to other UNIX machines), or as a tiny server
that can work in limited space and serve your email, DNS, of even
other more demanding services, it is my impression that NetBSD is a
truly remarkable thing.

Give it a try.  After all, it's BSD too.

I know I might be flamed for suggesting NetBSD on a FreeBSD list, but
having used FreeBSD exclusively for the last few years, I must say
that my recent attemps to install NetBSD and OpenBSD have convinced me
that those other BSD camps do a wonderful job too.  So put down the
flame sticks, and don't start running after me with battle axes :-)

- Giorgos