Date:      Wed, 11 Feb 1998 09:36:49 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Adrian T. Filipi-Martin" <atf3r@cs.virginia.edu>
To:        spork <spork@super-g.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bash question

On Tue, 10 Feb 1998, spork wrote:

> I'm stumped.  I just turned one of my home machines into a dual-booter,
> and one of the things I've installed is bash.  I've done this a hundred
> times, and sticking a .bashrc in my homedir has been how I get bash to do
> what I wish...  For some reason, it's not being read at login.  If I
> source it, it works.  I also tried naming it .profile.  According to the
> manpage .bashrc is correct.  Perms look OK, readable by anyone.
>
> Ideas???

	.bash_profile or .profile are read when starting a login shell and
.bashrc is read when starting a non-login shell.  I don't know why
renaming to .profile didn't work.  It should.

	Did you perhaps change your X settings such that xterms are login
shells by default?

	In any event, a lot of people always want the non-login stuff to
be avail, so you might try adding the following to the ned of your
.bash_profile:

	[ -f ~/.bashrc ] && . ~/.bashrc

	WHen debugging a problem like this, I often find it usefuil to
observe exactly when a particular config file is being read.  Try adding a
line like the following to each of your dot-files:

	echo $0:.bash_profile:$-

	Replace .bash_profile with the proper file name.  $- is the set of
shell options in effect, e.g. interactive, etc.

	Adrian
--
adrian@virginia.edu        ---->>>>| If I were stranded on a desert island, and
System Administrator         --->>>| I could only have one OS for my computer,