Date:      Tue, 06 Apr 1999 14:29:30 +0300
From:      "Andy V. Oleynik" <andyo@prime.net.ua>
To:        cjclark@home.com
Cc:        andrea.franceschini@linet.it, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, tech-net@netbsd.org, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: arp.

"Crist J. Clark" wrote:

> Andy V. Oleynik wrote,
> [Charset koi8-r unsupported, filtering to ASCII...]
> > andrea wrote:
> >
> > > I have to add a gateway to my net for experimental reasons.
> > > Actually there are : a main-router that works as interface to the Internet,
> > > and some hosts on my sub net.
> > >
> > >         Internet-----MyRouter----MySubNet
> > >
> > > NOw i need to configure one host of MYSubNet to act as a gatway for the
> > > secondary subnet.
> > > Both the 1SubNet and 2 SubNEt share the same ip-range.
> > >
> > >      Internet-----MyRouter----MySubNet-----My2SubNet
> >
> > As I understood U have smth like this :
> > Internet-----MyRouter----MySubNet
> >                                                |----2ndRouter-----My2SubNet

I mean 2ndrouter is on  MySubNet, sorrey for unclearity:)

> > Then U have to cut My2SubNet from ur  MySubNet and configure
> > routes to appropriate subnets on appropriate hosts. As long as ur 2ndsubnet
> > is part of ur mainsubnet  the hosts from  2ndsubnet will be seen from internet
> >
> > & wise a versa. U may need to run DNS for reverse zone of ur  My2SubNet
>
> DNS has nothing really to do with this problem. I believe the original

I said "U may" not "U must". At least I  run DNS for revzones of my subnets.

> poster is describing the following (this may be what the second poster
> meant to write, but proportional fonts, tab damage, or his character
> set wiped it out),
>
> Internet------PrimaryRouter------SubNet1
>              SecondaryRouter-----SubNet2
>

> > > All the sub.net have to be seen from the Internet so I'll need to add a
> > > route to MainRouter in order to route the Secondary Subnet.
> > > The problem is that i cannot change configuration of the mainroute,so i
> > >

> > in fact this isnt  big problem as soon as U have properly configured
> > subnets:) . Correct me if I wrong.
>
> This is a problem. You are wrong. But back to the original poster, why

Sorrey Crist, but there is no need to connect 2nd router to 1st. If U have to
have 2nd subnet just insert 2nd NIC into 1st router and as I sad above
configure ur subnets (with appropriate routes on router off cause &
defaulterouter on hosts on subnets :).

> can you not change the configuration on the Primary Router[0]? If this is
> your network, and you want to be able to do things like this, you need
> to be able to change the Primary Router configuration.
>
> To the second poster, when the Primary Router receives a packet
> destined for a machine on SubNet1 or SubNet2, since the Router
> believes all of those machines are still on its LAN, it will try to
> use the MAC address (layer 2) to send the packet directly to the

Is this true if 1strouter knows that a route to 2ndsubnet is throught 2ndrouter
which is
on same subnet as 1strouter?

> machine. However, now this machine has been moved behind the Secondary
> Router. The Secondary Router is not listening for other machines'

why not if it's configured as gateway to 2ndsnet?

--
WBW  Andy V. Oleynik  (When U work in virtual office
                       U have good chance to obtain virtual money ö%-)