Date:      Mon, 10 Jun 1996 11:45:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Morgan Davis <root@io.cts.com>
To:        john@ulantris.infinop.com (John A. Booth)
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mail overload.

John A. Booth writes:
> > What are the thoughts on breaking this stuff out of mail lists and into
> > news groups?  (At least there I can use kill files to eliminate the noise.)
> There are news groups or is a newsgroup.  My personal feeling is
> news takes too long to propagate.  I get much better response to the mailing
> lists--I'm more apt to read a mailing list than a news group.  If I don't
> think the subject applies I delete the messages w/o reading it.

I agree that there is way too much chatter here.  I used to follow the
other FreeBSD major mailing lists (-current, -question, and -hackers)
but for the same reasons, the avalanche of e-mail made it impossible
to hunt down those important announcements about tree changes, sup
servers, etc.  With the recent tree hosing on May 31, I was urged to
join this -stable mailing list so that I can stay informed of issues
that most affect maintaining a -stable system.  I hoped to do this
without having to dig through another 40 messages everyday to find the
gems.

Discussions about whether -stable should stay or go, or -current
should become what we think of as -stable, etc., or how commercial
users ought to donate money to FreeBSD, Inc., etc., are certainly
important.  But I think they should have their own place, like a
freebsd-planning (or -policy, or -harangue, or -etc) list.

--Morgan