Date:      Thu, 12 Oct 2006 11:06:21 +0200
From:      "Simon L. Nielsen" <simon@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Patrick Okui <pokui@psg.com>
Cc:        freebsd security <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>, security-officer@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [fbsd] HEADS UP: FreeBSD 5.3, 5.4, 6.0 EoLs coming soon

On 2006.10.12 10:59:18 +0300, Patrick Okui wrote:
> One of my servers is colocated in a place on a different continent - which is
> why I haven't been able to upgrade it beyond RELENG_4. Google turns up a
> binary upgrade as the only way I can get to RELENG_6. Is this still the case
> (because the logistics on arranging that are ... interesting) or is there a
> relatively safe way to upgrade from RELENG_4 to RELENG_6 remotely?

I have upgraded a system from 4.10 to 6.2 via 5.5 half a world away
just using serial console (well and remote power, but that wasn't
needed for the upgrade itself).  I did this via buildworld etc. and it
was actually quite painless, so it can be done.  That said, of cause
there is always the risk that something will make it blow up.

Note that you have to be careful to follow the guidelines to the
letter (see the migration guide which was part of 5.3 or 5.4 docs
AFAIR) for the 4.x -> 5.x part.

--
Simon L. Nielsen