Date:      Sat, 06 Jul 1996 10:06:01 -0400
From:      Gary Chrysler <tcg@ime.net>
To:        Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: makeing world

Annelise Anderson wrote:

> On Sat, 6 Jul 1996, Gary Chrysler wrote:
>
> > I read someplace that it's best to drop into single user mode
> > to make world, Is this fact?
> >
> > If so, How does one log the make process.
> > I would normally do: make <whatever> |& tee make.err
> > This don't work in single user mode. (Unless I did something wrong)
>
> In single user mode you have to mount the swap partition(s) with
> swapon -a
> before you do the make world.

Ok Thanks.
All I did was: shutdown now, make world. this time.
So far it has been going for ~9 hours, Hopefully it will not eat
my source tree this time.

I did not do: swapon -a
Does this mean that it's working soley in memory now??
Maybe thats why it's taking so long, I've only got 8megs in this
486DX-33 system. :(

I have saved your suggestions, and will look into thier uses on
the next make world.
Thank you.

> I used make world >& make.out& to get a "make.out" file recording
> the process.  I think I typed csh first; probably you would need
> to do that with the command you used as it's probably a csh command.
>
> However you can make world without going into single user mode...I'm
> not sure but I think the benefit of single-user mode is that there
> are fewer processes running to use swap.  I thought it was rather
> interesting to not do it in single user mode because the machine could
> continue to serve web pages and allow me to log in from home and look
> at what was going on (or you could log in on another virtual terminal)--
> I ran swapinfo now and then and did tail -f make.out to see what was
> going on.  make.out ends up over 3.5 megabytes.  vmstat might also be
> interesting (as well as ps axl) although I suppose pulling up the
> carrots to see how they're growing prolongs the process.

Welp, I have no users (private system), So I'm not concerned about
serving anything, Although it would be nice to be able to access
the system while it's building, There is no NEED for it!

My hopes are that it at least completes without eating my source
tree again.

-Enjoy
Gary
Improve America's Knowledge... Share yours
The Borg... Where minds meet
(207) 929-3848