Date:      Sun, 11 Apr 1999 11:54:16 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "James A. Mutter" <jmutter@netwalk.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Installation problems with Micronics M4PI system board.

Hi people,

I'm having a problem with the installation of 3.1 on a Micronics M4PI
system board.  I'm providing a short description of the board for
those who are not familiar with it:

  *  486 support, up to the DX4/100, also Intel "Overdrive" CPU's
  *  3 PCI Slots, (1 shared)
  *  5 ISA
  *  PCI Mode 3 IDE Drive Controller
  *  Intel Saturn Chipset.

When I try to install 3.X from the installation disks I get to the
point just before the curses based installation menu (past the
"Configure kernel in mode XXX or skip to continue with installation).
The last thing I see is something to the effect of:

  Rootfs is 2880 compiled in MFS

Then it just hangs, no strange debug messages to the console, it just
quits.

Additionally, I've tried inserting a HDD which already contains a
working FreeBSD 3.X install, it too hangs, just before it tries to
mount the drives.

-------

It should be noted that this has all been tried while I have 3 cards
in the system, 1 PCI video card, 1 LinkSys 10Mbit PCI NIC, 1 Netgear
10/100 Mbit NIC.  I've tried removing them one at a time, and
replacing them with different cards, several different combinations.
So far nothing has worked.  If however, I attempt to install without
any NIC's in the machine I can get at least to the installation menu.
(I've not gone further than that because I really need at least 1 NIC
in the machine for the installation).

This problem has been duplicated on several machines with the same
board, and same hardware so I think we can eliminate a flaky system.
(physically different machines though).

Any ideas?  I've never experienced a problem like this before.

Thanks for your help,

Jim