Date:      Sat, 17 Jun 2000 00:03:39 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   configuring periodic services

I would like to implement an /etc/periodic.conf,
/etc/defaults/periodic.conf scheme that will contain variables to
control periodic jobs, in the same way that $clear_daily_* have just
started doing in rc.conf.

Initially I'll introduce a /etc/defaults/periodic.conf file with a
bunch of stuff including replacements for $clear_daily_* and a
/etc/periodic.conf (installed by sysinstall, not src/etc/Makefile)
that contains a few comments and nothing else.

The default file will contain tunables to make periodic jobs behave as
they currently do and a man page will describe what's changable.

I don't see any disagreement here (hah!), but think that there may be
preferences for daily.conf/weekly.conf/monthly.conf instead.
Personally I don't think that's necessary - not if the variables in
periodic.conf all contain daily/weekly/monthly substrings.

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@[uk.]FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@[uk.]OpenBSD.org>