Date:      Tue, 27 Apr 1999 22:55:19 -0500 (CDT)
From:      John Kenagy <jktheowl@bga.com>
To:        John Lengeling <johnl@raccoon.com>
Cc:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>, questions freebsd <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Unable to connect W98 box via samba

On Wed, 28 Apr 1999, John Lengeling wrote:

> Did this last week.  Win98 comes out of the box with encrypted passwords
> enabled.  I had Samba 2.0.2 configured with out encrypted passwords and
> you need to edit your Win98 registry to disable encrypted passswords.
> The info is in /usr/local/share/doc/samba/textdocs/Win95.txt.
>
> After I did this, the Win98 could see the FreeBSD Samba shares.

I did this too, when setting samba 1.9.whatever up on 2.2.1 and it
worked then also. I have a baaad feeling that this is another one
of these thingies left over from a "troubled" install of 3.1R.

Seems that some of the mode bits were not set right. Whatever
comes after the "remaking devices" part of the install, never
got done because MAKEDEV barfed. Example: su was not set to let
users su to superuser because "r-sr-xr-x" was set to "r-xr-xr-x".

I guess the question is what items get reset like this during
an install?

I'll keep looking, and yes Matilda, samba _has_ changed.

John