Date:      Thu, 16 May 1996 23:51:34 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
To:        Kazem Akbari <akbari@alpha.CES.CWRU.Edu>
Cc:        freebsd@FreeBSD.ORG, support@cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Is there anybody out there to help (3rd attempt)

On Thu, 16 May 1996, Kazem Akbari wrote:

> Hi folks:
>
>    It has  been five  weeks now  which I am  struggling to  install my
> FreeBSD-2.1  (Walnut  Creek) package   and build   the  ports  in  the
> /usr/ports directory, but in  spite of all  efforts the the "make" and
> "make print-index" commands are not working  as instructed in the UNIX
> manual. The system  asks for the  target file of  "make" and also says
> there  is no entry for the  index.  It will  be greatly appreciated if
> some  kind  souls give  me  a  detailed  direction for the  successful
> installation of the   FreeBSD-2.1  and resolving  the   fore-mentioned
> problems.  Thank you  in  advance   for your kind   consideration  and
> assistance.

What directory are you in (what does the 'pwd' command give) when the
"make print-index" command fails?  You should be in /usr/ports.  Did you
install all the ports when you installed FreeBSD?  If you did, and you
were in the /usr/ports directory, the 'ls' command should tell you:

00_TRANS.TBL    benchmarks/     emulators/      net/            sysutils/
INDEX           cad/            games/          news/           utils/
LEGAL           comms/          graphics/       plan9/          x11/
Makefile        databases/      japanese/       print/
README          devel/          lang/           russian/
archivers/      distfiles/      mail/           security/
audio/          editors/        math/           shells/

If it didn't, then your installation is incomplete.

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |