Date:      Sun, 18 Dec 2005 10:15:32 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Jose Borquez <bsdlists@sbcglobal.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions group <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Question about PHP5 vs mod_php5

--------------enigB370E96E0F9CA57A2B882146

Jose Borquez wrote:
> I am currently running FreeBSD 5.4 with Apache+mod_ssl 1.3.34 and I am
> attempting to configure group office which is a project management
> suite.  I need php support and I am confused about what the difference
> is between PHP5 and mod_php5.  If I just install mod_php5 will that be
> enough to allow php support?

The www/mod_php5 port gives you just the Apache loadable module, no
standalone php executable.

The lang/php5 port gives you both the Apache loadable module and the
standalone php executable.

The lang/php5-cli port gives you just the standalone php executable.

Finally, the www/php5-cgi port gives you a version of PHP *without*
fastcgi support -- ie. it's tied to using the traditional CGI interface.
(The php5-cgi port exists principally to be used with the www/suphp port)

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Flat 3
                                                      Kent, CT11 9PW