Date:      Sun, 21 Feb 2010 17:35:50 +0100
From:      "marco\.borsatino\@poste\.it" <marco.borsatino@poste.it>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   DNS and DHCP cooperation

Hi to all. Sorry for my bad english.=0AA big (for me) problem with DNS an=
d DHCP.=0AFor auto-educational purposes, I'm trying to configure a little=
 network using VirtualBox.=0AThe situation is Ok for DNS, as I've correct=
ly configured my only DNS server with 2 subnets, each with only 1 PC; all=
 the clients can access the other client and my virtual server.=0ALater, =
I've successfully installed DHCP, both client and server.=0ABut when I tr=
y to make the server programs (named and dhcpd) to cooperate, I get lost =
in the documentation (I'm using different sources), and the situation col=
lapses.=0AMy client, which has a new DHCP assigned address, correctly pin=
gs the other virtual PC in the network, but when I ping this client from =
my virtual server, I see that it doesn't recognise the correct address (s=
till present in the zone file); it always tries to ping 212.48.8.140, whi=
ch seems not to exist in the real world (or at least it seems not to be e=
achable from the real PC) nor, clearly, in my virtual little network.=0AO=
k, I've made a mistake, normal. In fact, I haven't undestood how the DHCP=
 server updates zone files in the DNS server both server programs are in =
the same virtual PC).=0ASo I came back to static address for my client; b=
oth clients still ping the other, but my DNS server still tries to ping t=
his misterious (for me) address.=0AI've deinstalled the BIND from ports, =
but nothing has changed.=0ASo, two questions:=0A- Where can I find a docu=
ment that explains how to use jointly the two servers (starting from a ve=
ry basic point of view) how to use DNS and DHCP? When I read the document=
s I'v found on the Internet, they correctly start considering securities =
issues, but, for me, for now, that's not important; first I'd like to see=
 them to work;=0A- what is the reason of the strange beaviour of my virtu=
al DNS server? I've solved starting with a new virtual PC, but I'd like t=
o understand.=0A=0AThank for your help.=0A=0AMarco