Date:      Sat, 21 Jun 1997 21:49:52 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
Cc:        kleon@bellsouth.net, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Handbook - ascii form??

I find it truly incredible that the collective talent here cannot
produce and get onto a server a plain text copy of the handbook.

Suggestions that people who may be downloading the handbook to a
dos/Win system use a simple sed command to get rid of the backspaces
or whatever are, it seems to me, greatly misplaced.

They are also inappropriate for people new to unix, and this may
well be a major category of people who download the handbook.

There are also reports that people who ask for a plain text, or
ascii, version of the handbook are told they are jerks who don't
understand latin1 etc.etc.etc.  I think anyone who thinks the handbook
is available in plain text hasn't tried to download it.  But then,
maybe I just don't get it.

Now here we have a nice offer from someone who will convert a troff
version to plain text.  How about taking him up on it?

				Annelise