Date:      Wed, 06 Jan 1999 12:36:03 +0100
From:      hein <hein@bnro.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Boot loader problem

--------------5F741852A7806DD1AE649385

Dear Friends,

Having installed FreeBSD2.7 on a first hard disk ( 1st IDE master -
cdrom occupies its slave ) and FreeBSD3.0 on a second disk, at the 2nd
IDE master, I encountered the following problem: The (FreeBSD) boot
loader starts correctly with displaying function keys (F5/F1) that refer
to the two disks/systems and promise to switch between them. However,
selecting the 2nd disk, the boot loader eventually terminates with
"changing root device to wd1s1a" ( displayed message ) instead of
changing to wd2s1a ( as would be correct ).
- Of course, this runs into kernel panic.

The boot process terminates without any problems after initially
selecting, explicitely,
boot:  1:wd(2,a)kernel
- Obviously , this is not a very elegant solution .

Thus my question:

How can I get the boot selector to change correctly on wd2s1a after
selecting the second disk in the canonical way - i.e. simply over the
function keys ?

Steffen Hein
--------------5F741852A7806DD1AE649385

<entry>
<first>Steffen</first>
<last>Dr. Hein</last>
<email>hein@bnro.de</email>
<address>Harthauser Str. 36 k</address>
<city>Bad Aibling</city>
<state>Germany</state>
<zip>D-83043</zip>
<options commerce_email="yes" commerce_mail="no" announce="yes" newsletter="no"></options>
<version>3.0-RELEASE</version>
</entry>