Date:      Thu, 06 Jul 2000 23:08:47 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.osd.bsdi.com>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.osd.bsdi.com>, Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>, Dann Lunsford <dann@greycat.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: No port of Opera? (Was: ((FreeBSD : Linux) :: (OS/2 : Windows)))

At 10:50 PM 7/6/2000, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

>Wurgh.  Let's cut to the chase: I completely disagree.  I disagree
>with your reasoning, I disagree with your conclusions, I disagree with
>the arguments you present, I disagree with your characterizations of
>me and of my position on this issue and I completely disagree with
>your feelings on what "linux compatability is doing to FreeBSD."
>If there's one thing we can agree upon, its the fact that we
>disagree.  Let's quit while we're at least one up.

Which way do you think of as "up?"

In any event, Jordan, I'd kinda hoped that you'd appreciate a
perspective that takes a wider view -- both spatially and
temporally -- of the world. As well as a model of that
world that has successfully predicted events which are now
occurring. (The problems with obtaining a native port of
Opera are just one predicted result.)

In any event, this is one area in which I will get NO
pleasure from coming back later and saying "I told you so."
If you're unwilling to listen NOW, FreeBSD will remain a
minor blip on the radar screen, and will not be able to
prevent the FSF and its minions from stomping all over
it and everyone else in the software world.

It'd be sad indeed if you abdicated the power to change
that.

--Brett