Date:      Wed, 28 Apr 1999 08:38:25 +0200
From:      Rudi Opperman <rudi@askas.co.za>
To:        Anggara Nugroho <anggara@asia-karsa.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Firewall

Anggara Nugroho wrote:

> what I must do if I want build a firewall with FreeBSD ?
> because I'm very blind about FreeBSD and still learn of it
> thank

from the other responses i have read people have started you on the
correct track - i have just one thing to add - ppp filters, ipfw and
ipfilter are all, as far as i know, context based firewalls - ie they
examine an ip packet under a set of rules and decide wether to let is
pass or do something else (reject/redirect/log etc).  However they never
look at the contents / payload of the packet - only the context in which
it exists.  The other side of the coin is content processing - this is
where the payload of the ip packet is examined - IMO a combination of
content and context processing is best as these two techniques cmplement
each other.

bye
rudi