Date:      Fri, 26 Jul 1996 03:06:29 -0400
From:      Gary Chrysler <tcg@ime.net>
To:        Tim Vanderhoek <hoek@freenet.hamilton.on.ca>
Cc:        James B Amy <jimamy@io.org>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD CD Installation

Tim Vanderhoek wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Jul 1996, Gary Chrysler wrote:
>
> > > 2. The other issue I did not realize when I ordered FreeBSD is the need to
> > > load it in a partition within the first 500 MB of disk space (or 1024
> > > cylinders).  Is this always the case with EIDE drives?  I am using a
> > > Western Digital AC31200 1.2MB HD.
> > >

> > This is _not_ a FreeBSD limitation, It is a PC BIOS limitation.
>
> It is not a problem for some BIOSes.  It is possible (but not tres
> likely) that you have a BIOS that will allow you to boot a partition that
> starts beyond the 1024 cylinder mark.

Not wanting to start a war, but they are far and few between..
I have never seen one. I have not seen everything.

Less then a year (~9mths) ago I researched this for a simular
conversation in another world.. A BBS community I am involved in.
I talked to AMI, Phenoix, and Award they all told me it's a PC System
BIOS limitation. And that thier PC System BIOS basecode dosn't
support booting from >1024 cyclinders!
Although they also stated that what MB manufactures do to thier
basecode is unknown to them.

Thats what I was told from the horses mouths, So thats what I
go by.

Yes, I realize that technoligy is growing rapidly and this may now
be out of date.

-Enjoy
Gary
Improve America's Knowledge... Share yours
The Borg... Where minds meet
(207) 929-3848