Date:      Tue, 18 Sep 2001 00:51:16 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Philip Paeps" <philip@paeps.cx>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PC Health Monitoring

Philip Paeps <philip@paeps.cx> types:

> Hi all,
>
> I recently installed FreeBSD -STABLE on a new machine with a PC133 M787CLR
> motherboard (http://www.pcchips.com.tw/M787CLR.html).  Now, I was wondering:
> how can I monitor the PC health (temperature, fan speed, voltages, etc ...)
> without having to reboot and look at the BIOS.  Is there anything I can use to
> monitor the system, perhaps as a daemon process?
>
> If no such tool exists: any hints on how to write my own?

Healthd has already been mentioned. That's a background daemon that
can be configured to notice events like "temp to high", "voltage to
low", etc and either log them to syslog or execute an arbitrary
command.

Gkrellm is also in the ports tree, and is in general an excellent tool
for visually monitoring your system. it includes code to check for
various sensor chips. It's an X client, so isn't running unless you
are running X.

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.