Date:      Tue, 30 Sep 2014 12:57:53 +0100 (BST)
From:      Anton Shterenlikht <mexas@bris.ac.uk>
To:        mexas@bristol.ac.uk, wojtek@puchar.net
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cluster FS?

>From wojtek@puchar.net Tue Sep 30 12:14:35 2014
>
>as disk array presents block devices, not files it is not possible to have
>filesystem read write access with more than one computer to the same block
>device.
>There is no AFAIK filesystems that can communicate between nodes to
>synchronize state after writes and prevent conflict.

The hardware is inherited from a VMS cluster,
which did precisely that. I don't remember now
what FS VMS used. I guess I'm trying
to replicate a VMS cluster with FreeBSD means.

>> I want to have all nodes equal, i.e. no master/slave
>> or server/client model. Also, the disk array
>> provides adequate RAID already, so that is not
>
>instead of using disk arrays (expensive) it's better to run FreeBSD as

well.. I have a populated array already,
so no extra costs are involved.

>file server with good deal of disks and connectivity and export
>filesystems using eg. NFS.

but again, what if the NFS server dies?
The data is no longer available.

Thanks