Date:      Fri, 30 Apr 1999 13:24:08 +0200
From:      Rico Pajarola <pajarola@cybertime.ch>
To:        Dave Edwards <davo@chunga.apana.org.au>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tacacs

Stay away from tacacs (or xtacacs), use tacacs+, or radius. I am using
tac_plus 2.1 from cisco (modified so that it writes accounting information
into utmp/wtmp style files). I think it is in the ports collection.
Development seems dead now though (no new releases or bugfixes for years).
I haven't heard of any other free tacacs+ servers. Cisco also has a
commercial tacacs+ server with ton's of features, but I don't think it runs
on FreeBSD.
Have a look at RADIUS, all newer ciscos support it, and it seems to be much
more scalable, and there are several free and commercial servers to choose
from.
As for pam, there is a pam module that can authenticate to a tacplus (not
tacacs), but encryption doesn't work, so you'll have to use plaintext
(maybe this has been fixed in the meantime). See pam(8), tacplus.conf(5)
and libtacplus(3).

Rico