Date:      Thu, 11 Jul 2002 11:39:24 -0400
From:      Vivek Khera <khera@kcilink.com>
To:        Vince Vielhaber <vev@michvhf.com>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org, <pgsql-general@postgresql.org>
Subject:   Re: [GENERAL] was there a change in FreeBSD SHM implementation from 4.4 to 4.6? (postgres trouble)

VV> Have you looked at the FreeBSD section here:

VV>    http://www.postgresql.org/idocs/index.php?kernel-resources.html

VV> Most notably, I had to increase SHMMAXPGS on one of my FreeBSD machines.
VV> There doesn't appear to be a sysctl variable for it.

Thanks for the tip.  Turns out my SHMALL was less than SHMMAX.  Seems
silly that the kernel lets you build it that way, but it does.  Upping
SHMALL to be commensurate with SHMMAX fixed my problem.  I assume I
did it manually via sysctl before (was nearly a year ago since this
machine was rebooted, so I never noticed it wasn't set in sysctl.conf
or the kernel).