Date:      Tue, 30 Oct 2001 16:37:32 -0500
From:      Ron Tarrant <rtarrant@sympatico.ca>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Spontanious Reset While Compiling Kernel

I don't know what information might be needed by anyone helping me deal
with this problem, but here's a list of what I _believe_ is relevant:

- distribution: FreeBSD 4.4 (downloaded iso and burned)
- picked 'X Developer' option, then ripped out XFree86 3.3.6 and
installed 4.1.0
- kernel config file based on LINT
- make, gcc, etc. all from this distribution
- kernel modules reported by kldstat at time of compile:
    kernel
    linux.ko
    agp.ko
    tdfx.ko
    mga.ko
    r128.ko
    radeon.ko
    gamma.ko
- other running processes:
    junkbuster
    vmdaemon
    bufdaemon
    syncer
    adjkerntz -i
    syslogd -s
    portmap
    mountd -r
    nfsd (master + 4 servers)
    rpc.statd
    nfsiod -n 4 (4 times)
    inetd -wW
    cron
    sshd
    moused
    httpd (6 times)
    getty ttyvX (7 times)
    lpd
- running a bash shell

Hardware:
    Pentium MMX
    256mb PC133 RAM (on a PC100 bus)
    5400 rpm Quantum ATA hd
    512 mb swap space
    Creative Labs Voodoo Banshee

This is a (relatively) fresh install of FreeBSD 4.4 although I spent
almost a week buggering around with Glide3, glut, glu, TDFX drivers and
Mesa in an attempt to get direct rendering working for the Banshee. The
only extra header files I installed were in /usr/include and
/usr/X11R6/include (headers for glut, glu, etc. etc.) As far as I know,
no strange (or updated) header files found their way into the
/usr/src/sys/ tree.

What happens is, part way through compiling the kernel, the computer
spontaneously resets and starts a POST. If, after the reboot is
finished, I restart 'make', it picks up where it left off, then
spontaneously resets again after a while. I wasn't keeping a very close
eye on it, but if that's an issue, I'll gladly do it again to see where
it bombs. I originally thought it might be XFree86 4.1.0 causing the
problem, but I tried starting the compile from tty1 and got the same
results.

I've compiled other things (XFree86 4.1.0 as well as the above-mentioned
ports) without having this happen.

Suggestions?

-Ron Tarrant
rtarrant@sympatico.ca