Date:      Tue, 23 May 2006 21:46:45 -0700
From:      Pete Slagle <freebsd-questions@voidcaptain.com>
To:        Noah <admin2@enabled.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Implementing IMAP advice for first timer

Noah wrote:

> Well I want to get IMAP running on my FreeBSD box and would like to have a
> safe, non service-interrupting strategy to implementing it.  I am leaning
> toward installing cyrus imapd.  I have some questions about how to get things
> working.

I like courier-imap. The set-up is easy and it has been 100% reliable
for me on a bunch of different servers. It has never lost a message or
dropped a core file. It uses maildir format out of the box, which I view
as a significant advantage.

Installing it from ports (/usr/ports/mail/courier-imap) is pretty
straightforward, and most settings can be left at the default, at least
until you get comfortable with it. There is lots'o'doc at at
http://www.inter7.com/courierimap/courierimap.html should you need it.

I first set it up years ago, it's in use all day every day, and the only
thing I've ever had to do it to it is portupgrade.