Date:      Thu, 6 Sep 2001 19:16:59 -0600
From:      Mike Porter <mupi@mknet.org>
To:        "Hayden Katzenellenbogen" <haydenk@nextlevelinternet.com>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xf86cfg core dumps

On Thursday 06 September 2001 05:02 pm, Hayden Katzenellenbogen, or somone
very much like Hayden Katzenellenbogen, wrote:
> I just installed xfree86-4 on my machine which I recently did a make world
> on so now running 4.4-RC. This the first time since the days when.... I now
> see that Xf86setup is no more and been replaced with xf86cfg. I run this
> only to get a core dump. I have tried both package adding and recompiling
> the port and reinstalling it every time the same error.
>
> Anyone got a fix for me.

<snip log>

The only fix I have seen work 100% of the time is to run xf86configure
instead.  I know its not pretty and graphical, but it is easier to actually
get a working configuration, at least in my experience.  A couple of other
people on this list have reported similar problems, and I haven't ever seen
any better fix come through.  I did have luck with 4.0.2 using the
precompiled packages from xfree86.org, but nothing seems to have worked for
4.1.0.  Given the number of people with the problem, I tend to suspect it is
a port issue, and bypassing the ports collection might work.  The problem
with that is you lose the easy upgradeability of portupgrade and the like.
It worked for me with 4.0.2, but it wound up making upgrading to 4.1.0
impossible, and I wound up having to reinstall all of FBSD.  It seems to me
that using xf86configure is much easier that blowing away all of FBSD <(}:

One thing you might try is running XFree86 -configure.  This should dump a
Xf86Config file into /root (assuming you run it as root, it will fail
otherwise).  This can then be used in XF86cfg -Xf86Config <path>, and
sometimes works.

mike