Date:      Sun, 26 Jun 2005 19:29:27 +0100
From:      Dominic Marks <dom@goodforbusiness.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Maher Mohamed <mahmoh@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: portinstall .vs. make install clean

On Sunday 26 June 2005 19:12, Maher Mohamed wrote:
> can some tell me what is the difference bitween portinstall and make
> install clean, and in which way should one portupgrade its ports?

portinstall is a ruby program which comes with portupgrade which
you can use to build and install ports. It can do some things which
you can't do with a simple 'make install'. For example, I often
use portinstall to create packages for a port and its dependancies.

See the portupgrade manual page for details about how to use it.
You should also look at /usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf for how to
set more advanced configurations for your system.

--
Dominic
GoodforBusiness.co.uk