Date:      Tue, 11 Apr 2000 09:42:34 -0600
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Import of tcsh into src/contrib/, replacing src/usr.bin/csh

Hi,

I've tried REAL hard to stay out of this conversation as I have little
to contribute regarding csh vs tcsh.  But as this thread might influence
the future system structure I have to add my 2cents worth.

At Timing Solutions (shameless commercial plug) we are ramping up to use
FreeBSD in a big way on "embedded" systems.  In training current customers
to use/maintain our products they almost always can't understand why the
shell they use as "a user" is totally different from the shell they use
"as root".  And forget about even trying to show them how to use regular
expressions.  Soooo, whether we replace csh with tcsh or not, I would like
to add my vote to the list of those suggesting that the "root user" shell
be /bin/sh right out of the box.  Remember that we want to bring people over
from M$oft, and the first thing those users have to deal with after
installation is the shell.  Old time unix hacks will be able to change to
csh easily if they want, a new dos convert won't even know he has an
alternative, much less know how to install it.

--
Steve Passe	| powered by