Date:      Mon, 14 Jan 2002 20:30:37 -0500
From:      "Bob Hall" <rjhalljr@starpower.net>
To:        FBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Zoom modem, how do I use it?

On Mon, Jan 14, 2002 at 05:15:47PM -0500, Joe & Fhe Barbish wrote:
> I just exchanged a zoom external modem V.92 for a V.90 model.
> V.92 is a brand new dial protocol which most ISP are in no
> hurry to support.
> I do not think FBSD sio can handle it.
> The Zoom V.90 works with out any problems right out of the box.
> It works under windows because you have to install the drives to
> Make it work. FBSD has to have software change made in it's software
> Which will take time before it gets distributed in a general release.
>
> Correct me if I am wrong.

Correct *me* if I'm wrong, but I thought the modem isolated the
computer software from V protocol issues. For example, I'm using
the Zoom V.92 to connect to an ISP that only supports V.90. As far
as I know, there's nothing in FBSD 4.4 to handle this; the modem is
detecting the protocol and making any necessary adjustments itself.
I kinda thought that was part of what modems do for a living; provide
a standard interface to the computer, regardless of the compression
or other protocol.

At any rate, as I said in the part that Joe quoted and I snipped off,
I've used that modem with FBSD 4.3, and I'm currently using it with
FBSD 4.4. It worked out of the box, with no configuration. (THANK
YOU JESUS!)

If you've modified your /etc/remote or /etc/modems files and the
modem won't work, try returning them to their original state. If
I can get it to work, it can't be that hard.

Bob Hall
--
Know thyself? Absurd direction!
Bubbles bear no introspection.        -Khushhal Khan Khatak