Date:      Mon, 1 Mar 1999 20:49:01 +0100 (CET)
From:      Konrad Heuer <kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        Don Wilde <dwilde1@thuntek.net>, "Robert A. Bruce" <rab@pike.cdrom.com>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The Linux PR firestorm disaster (w.r.t. FreeBSD)

Shame on me - I didn't read this thread of discussion completely. I hope,
I don't state anything which has already been discussed.

I'm convinced the FreeBSD is superior to Linux if we discuss
technical questions. But the world isn't really interested in. The success
of the Microsoft systems does illustrate it.

The main of advantage of Linux is its ongoing success in the commercial
scene because people deciding for Linux feel calmed by the existence of
RedHat or Caldera. For them Linux is now more reliable, it's nearly like a
commercial operating system.

We don't want that for FreeBSD. But in the long term one or two or three
Linux distributions will even go more commercial and will win the race.
FreeBSD will stay a free operating system (I hope so) and will get only a
small part of the market. That's what I expect.

Nevertheless, let's try to make FreeBSD more popular day by day! :-)

Regards

//
// Konrad Heuer                                  ____            ___  _____=
__=20
// Gesellschaft f=FCr wissenschaftliche           / __/______ ___ / _ )/ __=
/ _ \
//    Datenverarbeitung mbH G=D6ttingen          / _// __/ -_) -_) _  |\ \/=
 // /
// Am Fa=DFberg, D-37077 G=D6ttingen              /_/ /_/  \__/\__/____/___=
/____/=20
// Deutschland (Germany)                      ----- The Power to Serve ----=