Date:      Thu, 14 Aug 1997 07:08:13 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Nick Johnson <spatula@gulf.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   bad fcs problem in pppd and ijppp

I've run into a few problems with both ijppp and pppd.  During periods of
increased modem activity (so it seems) FCS errors are reported (as HDLC
errors in ijppp) and the link becomes unusable.  pppd reports about 50
such errors and then the link gets terminated.

I've tried the obvious things; reducing the connect speed, port speed,
double-checking the flow control, etc.  No useful results.

What is interesting is that this only seems to be a problem when
connecting with a digital box.  It shows up both with our Ascend Max and
our Portmaster 3.  It doesn't seem to ever happen when connecting to a
PM2e and an analog modem.  I've double-checked the configurations on our
digital boxen, and they are configured to use RTS/CTS only, just like my
side of the connection.

As I was writing this, during a period of relatively low activity, pppd
reported another FCS error and disconnected.

Is anyone familiar with this problem or have any similar experience or
insight?

    Nick

--
"It's selling the idea that eating hot dogs is fun. When, in fact, it is a
 violent, bloody business, and it has got to stop."