Date:      Wed, 19 Apr 2000 07:23:07 -0500
From:      "Doug Poland" <dpoland@execpc.com>
To:        "Bhishan Hemrajani" <bhishan@cytosine.dhs.org>
Cc:        "ListServer FreeBSD Questions" <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Samba error message in 4.0-REL

-----Original Message-----
From: Bhishan  Hemrajani
Sent: Tuesday, April 18, 2000 23:34

> <snip>
> > [homes]
> >    comment = Home Directories
> >    browseable = no
> >    writeable = yes
>
> What do you have above that? (For [global])?)

Here's my global settings...
[global]
   workgroup = APPLEWG
   server string = Samba Server
   hosts allow = 10.20.
   load printers = yes
   log file = /var/log/log.%m
   max log size = 50
   security = user
   socket options = TCP_NODELAY
   dns proxy = no

> > and a shared directory...
> >
> > [data]
> >    comment = data
> >    path = /data
> >    writable = yes
> >    valid users = djp
> >    create mask = 0765
> >
> > I am trying to log in from WinNT 4.0 (machine name
> > Judah) as user djp and user djp does exist on FreeBSD.
> > This is the error message I see in /var/log/log.judah
> >

> Samba uses a different password file. Read the documentation from:
> samba.org

My point is that the defined user exists on samba host.

> > [2000/04/18 07:05:15, 0] locking/shmem.c:smb_shm_unregister_process(475)
> > ERROR smb_shm_unregister_process : couldn't find pid 1372 in file
> > /var/spool/lock/SHARE_MEM_FILE.processes
> >

> Are there any other error messages? Did you install samba from the ports?

There are no other messages.  The windows client sees first...
	Incorrect user name or unknown password

So I enter the valid username/password, then...

	\\hostname is not accessible
	The account is not authorized to login from this station